You can walk around Keynsham Marina many different ways, but here is one of the best circular routes to walk that takes about 1 1/2 hours. This route will take you across fields, through a wood and along the River Avon.
There are no poo bins here, but there is a bin at the start and end of the walk. The first field sometimes has cows in, so keep dogs under control whilst walking through.
1. Turn into Portavon Marina car park, there are some pavements areas you can park on here. There might not always be spaces, so get here early if you can at the weekend.
2. When you’ve parked you should see a little lane that runs parallel to the main road, walk down this lane. At the end of the lane you will see a Volkswagen spraying place on the corner and a scrap yard, walk down the lane that runs between them.
3. Follow the path and keep walking. Follow the concrete path to the house. Alternatively, you can also just walk along the river (for another completely walk, this route will take you to Swineford).
4. Keep going and you’ll see lovely views, the path will run out and go into a house but you’ll see another kissing gate ahead. And you’ll go into the second field.
5. Then you’ll see another (slightly hidden) kissing gate. Which goes into the 3rd field.
6. Keep going straight and in the left-hand corner you’ll see another gate, and then you’ll see the entrance to Meadow Wood (there are sometimes deer in this wood). The wood is enclosed and has a circular route around the boundary. You can walk around the boundary of the woodland or weave in and out of the trees. If you feel lost, look up at the powerlines which run along by the fence and gate.
7. When you and your pup have finished in the woodland you’ll come back through the gate and back into the 3rd field. It’s up to you then, you can go back exactly the same way to the car or head down to the river and walk along there for different sniffs.
8. Purple is the way you came, blue is to the riverside (see image). It doesn’t matter which you take, they both head back the same way.
After you and your dog have walked around, The Lock Keeper pub a minute walk away and is very dog friendly. They are completely used to having dogs in the pub and it has a huge beer garden with fabulous views of the River Avon.
As this is a community website, please keep your comments helpful and positive, thanks! 😊