This walk will take you and your pup on a scenic circular countryside ramble through picturesque Pensford, passing through woods, fields and bordering the River Chew.
Parking can sometimes be an issue at Pensford, so get there early if possible and park considerately. You can also park at The Rising Sun pub if you pop in for food or drink. We parked on Church Street.
1. On Church Street, walk past St Thomas a Becket’s Church and The Rising Sun pub (which will be on your left). There is a small unmarked lane on the corner just after Mill Corner Garage which slopes up. Walk up this lane.
2. Walk under the viaduct and after a few minutes, you will reach Culvery Wood, which is a small community woodland. After walking through the gate, we turned right and up the steps on the hill
3. Walk along the woodland path. Near the edge of the woodland boundary, there will be steps down the hill on your left. Walk down the steps and turn left at the end to walk along another path adjacent to a field.
4. There is a kissing gate to enter this field. Walk through these fields, you will be able to tell where to go as there is a worn path. There are areas for some doggy paddling here in the River Chew.
5. After walking through these fields and kissing gates, you will see a couple of houses, head towards the road. It’s a good idea to put dogs on lead here as there is a chicken field near the house.
6. Once on the road, walk downhill and carry on the dirt track road, across the river and through some gates which have a plaque on saying ‘The Cottage at Byemills’.
7. Follow the track until you go past the cottage, on the corner you will see a gate to another field. Go through the gate and walk through the fields and follow the track.
EXTRA INFO: before you get to the gate, there are three different routes including the one above. Other routes are: carry walking down the lane you will walk through fields and finally end at up at the viaduct OR turn right into the field so you feel like you are starting to walk back on yourself to journey to Stanton Drew Circles and Cove.
8. At the end of the fields, there is a final gate which leads onto a road (Pensford Lane). Turn left once out of the gate to take you back to Pensford. Make sure you keep dogs on a lead once on the road as you will occasionally encounter traffic.
9. Walk down Pensford Lane, you will see the picturesque viaduct ahead of you.
10. After walking under the viaduct, after a couple of minutes, you will see a gate and field on your left. Walk through the gate into the field. This field borders a horse field, so be careful if your dog doesn’t like horses.
11. Walk through the field, on your right, you will soon see the pretty Pensford River Crossing which passes over the River Chew.
12. Walk over the bridge and you will end up the back of The Rising Sun pub.
13. Walk through the car park and you will be back on Church Road.
This walk takes about an hour. We would recommend having a drink or grabbing some food at The Rising Sun, they have a lovely fire and inside feels cosy. They also have an amazing beer garden with spectacular views.
As this is a community website, please keep your comments helpful and positive, thanks! 😊