Rodway Hill & Carsons Copse a large area of green that spans 34.5 acres (14 hectares) and is very popular for dog walkers. It can also be very easily connected with a walk at Pomphrey Hill Playing Fields.
Rodway Hill & Carsons Copse is rich in history. Once an area of land that belonged to the King, legend has it that in Saxon times, a great battle was fought here, won by a great general called ‘Mane’ who gained victory over the Britons. Now, it’s a peaceful dog walk for locals with small wooded areas and views stretching across Bristol. A main cycle route goes through Rodway Hill & Carsons Copse.
‘In the middle of the 17th century, Rodway Hill was known as the “Conygree” or rabbit warren. Artificial mounds of earth (pillow mounds) were made to encourage rabbits to breed yo provide meat for the manor.
The early 1830s saw the horse-drawn dramway being cut through at the bottom of the hill to carry coal from Coalpit Heath to Bristol together with a line to the River Avon near Keynsham. By 1844 the Bristol to Gloucester route was converted to steam operation but it was not until August 1869 when the Bath branch line was opened that the ‘new’ Mangotsfield Station was brought into use. From 1962 passenger services ran down and closed in 1966. The track was lifted in 1972 and between 1979 and 1986 the Bristol & Bath Railway Path was constructed along it’s route.’
– Countryside Commission/ Forest for the Community
As this is a community website, please keep your comments helpful and positive, thanks! 😊